Main article pt 2 (12/8/19)

Today I started writing my main article about the Keystone Oil Spill. The first thing I did was look over my research I did towards the beginning of this project. I went on to the websites I had saved, (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kejqe/the-keystone-oil-spill-no-ones-talking-about-will-be-nearly-impossible-to-clean-up) and (https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/20/us/keystone-pipeline-leak-10-times-worse-trnd/index.html) I reread both articles to review the information, then started writing. I separated my paragraphs into an introduction about the pipeline, why bitumen is hard to clean up, how it is affecting the wetlands, and about environmental activist and trying to clean it up. I finished writing my article and thought about what I would write in the green text to the right side of the main two columns. I decided I would put “Once bitumen sinks to the bottom of a lake or wetland, it is much more problematic to clean up than conventional oil, which floats nicely and can be skimmed off the surface.” This is a quote from Diane Orhel, an aquatic ecotoxology professor at Queens university. I decided on this because I thought it was a main point in my story. For the second page of the article, I decided to do a picture, but I did not have one taken yet, so I inserted a photo off Canva of wetlands to use until I inserted my own photo. I planned to take the photo for the two page spread tonight because today was a cloudy day. I decided to take a picture of the clouds to demonstrate pollution from the carbon emissions from oil. I will also capture part of a dead tree in the photo to emphasize what the oil does to plants.

Comments